Updated last 26.03.2021
This section provides the following information:
- General information as to the connection of sites of electricity customers to the electricity transmission or electricity distribution networks;
- Information as to who can connect and who can offer electricity supply services;
- Information as to the connection procedure:
- Filing a request for a survey of the conditions for connection;
- Issuance of a written statement by the operator and signing of preliminary connection agreement;
- Conclusion of a connection agreement;
- Design and construction of the technical facilities;
- Commissioning of customer sites and facilities for connection to electricity networks.
The electricity supply system is divided into two networks, and paragraph 1, item 20 and 22 of the additional provisions of the Energy Act (EA) provides definitions thereto:
- Electricity transmission network is a combination of electric power lines and electric facilities serving for transmission, transformation of the electric power of high voltage to medium voltage and redistribution of electric flows.
- Electricity distribution network is a combination of electric power lines and electric facilities of high, medium and low voltage serving for distribution of electric power.
With regard to the connection to the transmission or to the distribution electricity networks, a more detailed regulation is included in Ordinance No.6 of 24.02.2014 for the connection of producers and customers of electricity to the transmission or distribution electricity networks, issued by the Energy and Water Regulatory Commission (EWRC) (the “Ordinance”).
Who can connect to the network and who can offer the service?
Any a person who is the owner, user or tenant of a property, or has a permit to place a movable object, as well as any person being a contracting entity within the meaning of the Spatial Development Act (SDA)1, can connect to the electricity supply network.
The electricity supply service is provided by the respective network operator of the electricity distribution network.
What is the connection procedure?
Filing a request for a survey of the conditions for connection
The first phase of the procedure is the survey of the conditions for connection of a site of a customer to the electricity network. For this purpose, a written request has to be submitted to the respective network operator depending on the location of the customer’s site, in a form provided by the network operator.
Art. 5, para 2 of the Ordinance sets out the documents that have to be attached to the application:
- Design permit for the connected site or entered into force detailed zoning plan (DZP) when the issuance is mandatory in accordance with the provisions of the SDA – in the cases when new site is under construction, in case of rearrangement of a site under the procedure of the SDA and for temporary electricity supply to a building site;
- A document proving the property right on the site/property or a notarized rental agreement;
- Permit for setting up of a movable unit – when the request is for temporary electricity supply to movable units;
- Notarized consent of the owner – in the cases where the applicant is a tenant of the site, the owner’s notarized consent for the filing of the application in a form, provided by the respective network operator, has to be attached to the request.
When the documents provided are incomplete or do not meet the requirements of the Ordinance, the respective network operator notifies in writing the person filing the application within 7 days as of the date of filing.
The person filing the application corrects any incompleteness and irregularities in the documents or provides additionally the required documents and information within 30 days as of the date of receipt of the operator’s notice.
|Important to know|
The procedure for the connection of the site is terminated when the person does not rectify the incompleteness and irregularities in the documents or does not provide the additional documents and information required within the set deadline.
A request shall not be submitted in accordance with art. 5 and the following of the Ordinance, when such has been submitted in accordance with art. 140a of the SDA. On the grounds of art. 140а of the SDA, the applicant may, together with the application for design visa, request to be provided by the respective operators with the output data necessary for the design and for the connection to the technical infrastructure networks, with content in accordance with art. 140, para. 4 of the SDA. In such case, the output data and conditions for connection to the networks, provided by the respective operator, shall be enclosed to the design permit issued as per art. 140а, para. 6 of the SDA.
The respective network operator may refuse to connect a site, fully or partially, to the electric energy network, with justification of the grounds for the refusal, provided that:
- There is technical impossibility to connect the site within the stated deadline for site commissioning;
- When, due to the unavailability of the required capacity, the connection of the site leads to deterioration of the conditions for the supply of electric energy to other customers.
The refusal for connection may be appealed before the Energy and Water Regulatory Commission (EWRC) under the terms and the procedure set out in art. 22 of the Energy Act.
Issuance of a written statement by the operator and signing of a preliminary connection agreement
After the successful completion of Step 1, the network operator prepares and provides to the person that has submitted the request under item 1 above:
- Written statement regarding the conditions for the connection – in all cases; and
- Draft preliminary connection agreement – only in the cases of connection of sites of producers of electricity to the electricity networks.
The written statement regarding the conditions for connection is issued by the network operator within 14 days from the date of filing of the request. This period may vary in cases where the removal of inconsistencies is requested or when prior permission from the EWRC or other coordination is required. In the case of complex connection schemes, the period may be extended by mutual agreement between the parties.
After the issuance of the statement regarding the conditions for connection, the customer submits to the network operator a work design, part architectural and part electrical installations and installations up to the property’s boundary. The operator shall approve these parts within 7 working days, and if it is necessary to coordinate with another operator, the term shall be extended by the term of the necessary coordination, but not more than 30 days from the submission of the work designs.
In the cases where signing of a preliminary connection agreement is required, the total period for coordination of the conditions for connection and signing of a preliminary agreement is set to 25 days.
The preliminary connection agreement is concluded before the preparation of the investment project for construction or reconstruction of the connected site.
Conclusion of connection agreement
Agreement for connection of customers’ sites to the electricity network is signed between the respective network operator and the person that:
- has been provided with written statement as to the conditions for connection or a document issued within the procedure under art. 140а, para. 7 of the SDA (namely, a design permit with enclosed output data and conditions for connection, as provided by the operator within the procedure under art. 140а of the SDA); or
- has been provided with written statement as to the conditions for connection and has signed a preliminary connection agreement.
In the cases where preliminary agreement is not required, the following have to be attached to the request:
- Notarized power of attorney of the person authorised to represent the customer/contracting entity (if applicable);
- Document proving the title right on the site or rental agreement.
For connection of a new site and reconstruction of a site under the provisions of the SDA, the assignor also has to attach to the application for conclusion of connection agreement the following documents:
- Entered into force construction permit for the site; and
- Approved investment project – part “Architecture” and part “Electric Switchgear and Installation” for the site in the part concerning the installation of the connection facilities and the approach to them, in compliance with the written statement on the conditions for connection.
Pursuant to art. 16, para. 1 of the Ordinance, within one month from the submission of the request for concluding a connection agreement, the respective network operator shall prepare the agreement and send a written invitation to the person, who has submitted a request, for signing the connection agreement. Where that person fails to appear for the signing of the agreement within one year from the receipt of the written invitation, the connection procedure shall be terminated.
In the cases where the procedure includes a preliminary agreement, the following have to be enclosed to the request:
- Notarized power of attorney of the person authorised to represent the contracting entity (if applicable);
- Documents evidencing the rights of the contracting entity for construction or extension of the electricity power plant;
- Approved investment project – technical design phase – part architectural and part constructive, related to the installation of the connection facilities and the approach to them;
- Work designs – part “Electricity” on paper;
- Construction permit for the connection facilities.
The connection agreement determines the rights and obligations of each of the parties, as well as the necessary conditions for connection of the site to the respective network, taking into account the actual technical capabilities of the electricity network in the area of the site.
The connection agreement will be terminated after the submission of a document for commissioning of the connection facilities and the site, issued under the terms and procedure of the SDA.
Design and construction of the technical facilities
Following the signing of the connection agreement, at his expense, the respective network operator prepares and coordinates the detailed designs for the construction of the facilities for the connection of the site, for which the operator is responsible in accordance with the signed agreement.
The coordination term is 7 working days, and if coordination is needed with another operator, the deadline is extended with the term for the required coordination, but not exceeding 30 days as of the submission of the designs.
As set out in art. 21, para 3 of the Ordinance the respective network operator starts the construction of the connection facilities after:
- The transfer of the ownership or the establishment of the right to construction in the case when in order to realise the connection facility element of the transmission or distribution network should be built in the property where the connected site is located and this is technically and constructively admissible;
- Establishment of easement rights by the owner of the property;
- Payment of the connection fee set out in the agreement.
The procedure for the design and construction of the connection facilities with regard to sites of electricity producers is regulated in a similar manner, with some specifics, in articles 62 – 64 of the Ordinance.
Commissioning of customer sites and facilities for connection to electricity networks
Electricity facilities for the connection of the site to the electricity network are fed with voltage, when the requirements for the commissioning of the connected site are met, which is evidenced by:
- Document for commissioning of the facilities for the connection, issued under the terms and conditions and procedure under the SDA;
- Document for commissioning of the site, issued under the terms and conditions and procedure under SDA;
- Declaration by the customer for compliance of his electric installations with the safety requirements and technical norms.
Voltage is fed only to the facilities up to the border of the ownership by the respective network operator or persons authorised by the operator within 7 days as of the date of submission of evidence by the customer that the customer has signed:
- An agreement for transmission and access to the respective network;An agreement for the supply of electric energy with a company licensed thereto.
Art. 65 and the following of the Ordinance contain special provisions regarding the connection to the electricity network (including voltage supply) of sites of an electricity producer – newly constructed electricity power plants.
The fee for the various stages of the electricity network connection procedure is specific for each service provider.
Many of the deadlines in the electricity networks connection procedure are set out in the connection agreement, as well as by the specific operator.
|For more information |
Indicative fees for connection and services of the various electricity distribution companies are available on the following websites:
1 Pursuant to art. 161, para. 1 of the SDA, contracting entity is the owner of the property, the person to whom the right to build in another’s property has been established, and the person who has the right to build in another’s property by virtue of law. The contracting entity or a person, authorised by him, shall ensure everything necessary for starting of the construction.