Foreign Economic Policy Directorate has the following functions:
1. Elaborates proposals and participates in carrying out of the public policy in the field of trade relations.
2. Prepares information on topics falling under EU’s Common Commercial Policy for the purposes of bilateral visits and meetings at state and governmental level with EU Member states and third countries, and coordinates the elaboration of positions on EU’s trade relations.
3. Delivers opinions on the compatibility with EU’s Common Commercial Policy of draft economic cooperation agreements proposed by other institutions; provides assistance in the preparation of negotiations on agreements for mutual protection and promotion of investments, by giving opinions on the compatibility of draft bilateral investment treaties with third countries with EU’s legislation and monitoring the fulfillment of Bulgaria’s obligations under Regulation (EU) No 1219/2012 of the European Parliament and of the Council from 12 December 2012 establishing transitional arrangements for bilateral investment agreements between Member States and third countries (OJ, L 351/20.12.2012.).
4. Participates in the process of elaboration, adoption and implementation of EU’s Common Commercial Policy, coordinates the work on issues in the field of EU’s Common Commercial Policy and participates in meetings of preparatory bodies to the Council of the EU and in the Comitology on issues relating to trade policy and external economic relations.
5. Gives opinions on the compatibility with EU’s Common Commercial Policy in the process of drafting of intergovernmental and interagency agreements, programmes, protocols and non-governmental agreements in the field of trade policy, as well as in their implementation and/or renegotiation.
6. Coordinates the fulfillment of Bulgaria’s obligations as a WTO member and ensures the participation of Bulgaria as an EU Member State in the preparation and conduct of bilateral and multilateral trade negotiations in the WTO and with countries striving for WTO accession.
7. Coordinates the elaboration of Bulgaria’s positions in the framework of EU’s trade negotiations and the fulfillment of obligations under trade agreements concluded by the EU, participates in the elaboration and implementation of legislation in the field of EU’s Common Commercial Policy.
8. Organizes and manages the activities of Working Group 25 “Commercial and Foreign Economic Policy” established pursuant to Decree No. 85 of the Council of Ministers of 2007 on the coordination of EU matters.
9. Participates in the dialogue with non-governmental organizations on trade policy issues; coordinates opinions and positions including in connection with the introduction and implementation of EU legislation.
10. Provides information on EU legislation on trade policy, the import and export measures in force and EU’s trade arrangements.
11. Coordinates and contributes to the implementation of tasks related to the participation of Bulgaria in international economic organizations, and the development of relations with them.
12. Has its representatives at the Permanent Representation of the Republic of Bulgaria to the WTO in Geneva and at the Permanent Representation of the Republic of Bulgaria to the EU in Brussels and carries out the operational management of the activities of Ministry of Economy’s employees at the Permanent Representation of the Republic of Bulgaria to the WTO in Geneva and the Permanent Representation of the Republic of Bulgaria to the EU in Brussels.
13. Organizes and coordinates the overall process of project implementation in the framework of the intergovernmental Technical Cooperation Agreements with other countries coordinated by the Ministry of Economy.
14. Analyzes domestic market developments, elaborates proposals and participates in the implementation of trade policy towards the domestic market.
15. Organizes, coordinates and controls the overall process concerning the regulation of the manufacturing and trade in tobacco and related products sector, with the exception of Art. 32 (l)(d) of the Rules of Procedure of the Ministry of Economy, by drafting legislative acts at national level for the regulation of activities in the sector; transposes into the national legislation the requirements of EU legislation in this area; expresses opinions on draft EU legislative acts, etc.
16. Liaises with the Commodity Exchange and Wholesale Markets State Commission and with the Bulgarian Export Insurance Agency.
17. Assists Economic Policy Directorate in the implementation of better regulation initiatives and in the elaboration of proposals for removal and/or alleviation of existing administrative regimes.
18. Participates in the elaboration of forecasts and the Ministry’s draft budget, as well as in the implementation of Ministry’s Programme budget as per its functional competence.