Updated last 26.03.2021
What are the programs about?
EUR 210.1 mln are made available to Bulgaria for projects following the signing of an agreement between Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and the EU for the Financial Mechanism of the European Economic Area and for the Norwegian Financial Mechanism for 2014-2021.
In 2014-2021 the Financial Mechanism of the European Economic Area and the Norwegian Financial Mechanism support projects in the following five priority areas:
- Innovation, research, education and competitiveness;
- Social integration, youth employment and mitigation of poverty;
- Environment, energy, climate change and low-carbon economy;
- Culture, civil society, good governance, and fundamental rights and freedoms;
- Justice and home affairs.
These areas have a total of 23 different subareas in which SME can apply in accordance with their scope of business and interests.
What are the main goals of the programs?
The two mechanisms provide various possibilities for incentives for the business of SME such as:
- Under the Financial Mechanism of the European Economic Area activities focusing on the following are funded: efficient use of the hydropower potential; utilization of geothermal energy for heating or cooling as well as for industrial purposes; rehabilitation and modernization of municipal infrastructure; improvement of energy efficiency of building; trainings on energy management, etc. cooling as well as for industrial purposes; rehabilitation and modernization of municipal infrastructure; improvement of energy efficiency of building; trainings on energy management, etc.
- Under the Norwegian Financial Mechanism 2014-2021, Business Development, Innovation, and SMEs Program is designed to promote nurturing of values and of sustainable development of business in Bulgaria. Its goal is to promote and develop long-term business cooperation between Norway and Bulgaria based on business development and innovation.
How much is the budget of programs?
The budget of the programs totals EUR 210.1 mln.
What are the application deadlines of the calls for proposals under the programs?
Each program has specific application deadlines.
How can you apply under the programs?
- Applying under the Norwegian Financial Mechanism is done via an electronic portal opened for each individual call for proposals. SME can follow any current funding opportunities on the website of the Norwegian Financial Mechanism. Projects that include cooperation with Norwegian partner are with priority (SME, research/education institution or other legal entity);
- Applying for funding under the Financial Mechanism of the European Economic Area is according to the terms and conditions of individual programs concerning local development, energy, culture, etc. Additional information on the programs is available on the Bulgarian website of the Financial Mechanism of the European Economic Area. For both financial mechanism it should be noted that individual programs and calls have specific eligibility criteria for candidates, activities, costs, evaluation, etc.
|For more information
Additional information about the two financial mechanisms are available on the websites of: