Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) are the engine of any economy in the European Union and worldwide. An important national policy is their support.
Bulgaria entered the new programming period 2014-2020. By Decision № 37 of the Council of Ministers of 23 January 2014 was adopted a new National Strategy for Small and Medium Enterprises 2014-2020 in compliance with Art.5 para.1 of the SME Law. The Strategy is adapted to the Small Business Act for Europe of the European Commission.
Working programme 2014 for application of the National Strategy
What is SBA?
– SBA is a set of 10 principles which should guide the design and implementation of policies both at EU and national level. This is essential to create a level playing field for SMEs throughout the EU and improve the administrative and legal environment so as to allow these enterprises to unleash their full potential to create jobs and growth;
– SBA is an ambitious package of concrete and far reaching new measures including four legislative proposals which translate these principles into action both at EU and Member State level;
– SBA was endorsed politically by the EU Council of Ministers in December 2008 to ensure the full commitment of both the Commission and the Member States together with regular monitoring of its implementation.
The 10 principles of SBA are:
1. Create an environment in which entrepreneurs and family businesses can thrive and entrepreneurship is rewarded
2. Ensure that honest entrepreneurs who have faced bankruptcy quickly get a second chance
3. Design rules according to the “Think Small First” principle
4. Make public administrations responsive to SMEs’ needs
5. Adapt public policy tools to SME needs: facilitate SMEs’ participation in public procurement and better use State Aid possibilities for SMEs
6. Facilitate SMEs’ access to finance and develop a legal and business environment supportive to timely payments in commercial transactions
7. Help SMEs to benefit more from the opportunities offered by the Single Market
8. Promote the upgrading of skills in SMEs and all forms of innovation
9. Enable SMEs to turn environmental challenges into opportunities
10. Encourage and support SMEs to benefit from the growth of markets
SBA Performance of Bulgaria: