Updated last 26.03.2021
This section provides the following information:
- Information as to who may be connected and who may offer the service;
- Information as to the connection procedure:
- Filing written application from the candidate to the operator to find out what are the terms and conditions for the connection and for the provision of output data;
- Issuance of design permit;
- Development of an investment project;
- Coordination of the investment project for the new water diversion with the water supply operator;
- Conclusion of an agreement for connection to the water supply and sewage systems.
Who can be connected to the water supply network and who can offer the service?
The owners and the persons having a material right to construction or right to use a property can connect to the water supply network.
Art. 2 of Ordinance No 4 of 14 September 2004 on the terms and conditions for connection of users and use of the water supply and sewage systems (the “Ordinance”) sets out the providers of the water supply service, namely – commercial entities having as their object of activities water supply, sewage and / or treatment of water, herein referred to as “operators”. A list of the operators providing WSSN services is available on the website of the Energy and Water Regulatory Commission (EWRC).
What is the procedure to connect to the water supply networks?
Filing a written application by the candidate to the operator to find out what are the terms and conditions for the connection and for the provision of output data
The connection to the water supply network is carried out on the basis of an application for obtaining output data and conditions for connection, in the following cases:
- construction of a new site in a property that is not supplied with water;
- water supply to an existing site in a property that is not supplied with water;
- change in the parameters of the water supply to an existing site in a property and/or upon construction of a new site;
- water supply to a property in which no construction is envisaged.
The application is to be submitted by a person, which is a contracting entity within the meaning of art. 161 of the Spatial Development Act (SDA)1 or its authorized person:
- following the procedure under art. 140а, para. 1 of the SDA – to the authority competent to issue a design permit (see item 2 below), in a form approved by the Minister of Regional Development and Public Works, or
- directly to the operator, using its form.
The key information and documentation, which has to be provided in the application or enclosed to it, is set out in art. 13, para 3 of the Ordinance:
- Exact address and intended purpose of the property to be supplied with water;
- Quantities and pressure of required water flows for drinking and household, technological and fire protection needs;
- Deadline for commissioning of the site – for sites under construction;
- Copy of the title deed for the property to be supplied with water or established right to construction on a third party’s property;
- Exact identifier of the property according to the data from the cadastral map and registers;
- Construction permit for the building;
- Copy (excerpts) of the current detailed development plan;
- Information on the buildings in the property and their designation;
- Copy of the design permit of the property to be supplied with water in the cases when the issuance of such permit is compulsory;
- Drawing, plan or project design, justifying and proposing the location of the connection of the property to the water supply diversion.
Based on the written application the operation performs an inspection in respect of the connection and provides the candidate with the output data and terms of connection within 14 days.
The output data and conditions for connection to the water supply network provided by the operator shall be valid within one year from the entry into force of the design permit, in the case of art. 140a of the SDA, respectively from the date of receipt of the written statement – in the case of direct application to the operator. After the expiry of this period, the output data and the conditions for connection have to be updated, for which the contracting entity will have to submit a new application.
Issuance of design permit
The contracting entity or its authorized person may file an application to request the issuance of a design permit, in accordance with art. 140 and art. 140а of the SDA.
The design permit is issued by the chief architect of the municipality, the district governor or the Minister of Regional Development and Public Works, depending on the site for which the issuance is requested. For special sites related to the defence and security of the country, a design permit is issued by the relevant minister or chairperson of state agency (art. 140, para. 7 of the SDA).
The design permit is issued within one month from the receipt of the application for its issuance.
On the grounds of art. 140а of the SDA, the applicant may, together with the application for design visa, request to be provided by the respective operators with the output data necessary for the design and for the connection to the technical infrastructure networks, with content in accordance with art. 140, para. 4 of the SDA. In such case, the output data and conditions for connection to the networks, provided by the respective operator, shall be enclosed to the design permit issued as per art. 140а, para. 6 of the SDA.
Development of an investment project
Investment projects are developed by designers on the basis of the output data and conditions for connection to the water supply network, provided by the respective operator, and have to comply with the regulatory requirements for design, construction, maintenance and operation of water pipes.
The preparation of the investment project for the water supply diversion is at the expense of the contracting entity under art. 161 of the SDA1.
Coordination of the investment project for the new water diversion with the water supply operator
Prior to submission for approval by the competent authority under the SDA, the investment project is submitted to the operator together with the investment project of the building WSS installation and/or network located in the property. The operator compares the investment project for the water supply diversion with the issued statement under art. 13, para. 6 of the Ordinance and notifies the applicant of the results of the inspection within 14 days from the receipt of the project. In case of discrepancies with the provided output data or conditions for the connection, the operator shall indicate them and after revision of the project shall perform a double check.
Conclusion of an agreement for connection to the water supply and sewage systems
New application in a standard form is filed to the respective operator for signing of an agreement for connection to the water supply and sewage systems (WSS).
After signing of the agreement, the operator ensures the construction of the water supply diversion and connects the site to the water supply system in accordance with the terms and conditions of the signed agreement and in compliance with the regulatory provisions.
Sample information regarding the documentation, content and water tariffs in the process of connection to the water supply network in Sofia Municipality is available on the website of Sofiyska Voda.
A template of an agreement is available on the website of ViK EAD Bourgas.
Please, bear in mind that these documents may differ with the different WSS operators and you have to check the exact templates on the respective website or directly with the respective WSS operator on the territory where your business operates.
The duration of the connection procedure varies with the different operators, but there are stages, for which there are deadlines set out by regulation:
The fees for the services split by the separate phases of the procedure for the connection to the water supply network are set by the respective water supply company.
|For more information |
Additional information is available on the website of:
1 Pursuant to art. 161, para. 1 of the SDA, contracting entity is the owner of the property, the person to whom the right to build in another’s property has been established, and the person who has the right to build in another’s property by virtue of law. The contracting entity or a person, authorised by him, shall ensure everything necessary for starting of the construction.